Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:59:19 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: Purify/Insure++

jkh@time.cdrom.com said:
:- Seriously, I think HP and IBM both ponied up some serious cash to get
:- their own ports done.

They are being typically short sighted.  There are 1000's of programmers
who would help them port for free to Linux and/or FreeBsd, and would
be willing to sign a non-disclosure to do it.  They could sell a $599
support-is-extra license for purify and (I think) sell skads of them.
And their cost of support and their configuration control hassels would
be essentially nil.

They could make reasonable money, but the chicken-and-egg fallacy makes
them think that there is no demand for this product.

Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA, witr@rwwa.COM