Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 1994 12:06:24 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error building libncurses

<<On Sat, 17 Dec 1994 12:30:19 -0800 (PST), Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com> said:

> Thanks, Jordan.  I've discovered "make world" and it's been building
> for about 8 hours now.  It seems that make world first wants to
> remove all the object files to begin a full build.

Any not only that, it will build your C compiler twice and your C
library three times...

> Is 'make world' something that must be done after every 'sup'?  Or, it
> is safe to 'sup' then do "make all" skipping the object removal part?

I almost never do a `make world' unless I know some dramatic change
has occurred which forces a bootstrap (like the upgrade from GCC 2.6.0
to 2.6.1).  Instead, here's what I do:

1) Install any new /usr/src/include include files by hand.

2) Run beforeinstall targets for any likely-sounding directories.

3) Run `make depend' at the top level, and watch which dependencies
get rebuilt.

4) Go to /usr/src/lib and /usr/src/secure/lib, and do a `make all' in
both directories.  ONLY INSTALL THE LIBRARIES THAT ACTUALLY GET
REBUILT.  (This part is important, because a `make install' at the
/usr/src/lib level will cause crt0 to get reinstalled, thus forcing a
re-link of the entire known universe.)

single-pass rebuild of all the programs in the system.

6) If this succeeds, do a `make installmost'.  This will install the
programs, but not the libraries or /usr/src/share stuff.

If all goes well, this should take less than two hours.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.