Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:02:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        edwin chan <slack@suntop-cn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how can I find general security infomation ?

edwin chan wrote to freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG:

> recently, I try to enhance security for my freebsd box, I feel lack general
> security knowladge and concept of attack manner.   where I can find deep
> infomation about ?
>
> edwin chen

A good place to start is the security(7) manpage. It contains a lot of
general security information, which will increase your understanding, as
well as give you ideas on how to improve system security. It will also
point you in the direction of several system components and 3rd party
tools that will have a positive effect on system security if configured
properly.

There are many sources in print that will go into more depth than
security(7), but are not necessarily specific to FreeBSD or any other OS
for that matter. One such good book is "Mastering Network Security"
Benton/Sybex Network Press. ORA also has some good books in print.

You'll also want to use on-line security web sites (too many to list.
bugtraq, CERN, securityfocus, etc... try some web searches for UNIX
security or FreeBSD security). Look for topics like firewalls, packet
filters, intrusion detection systems (IDS), email security, VPN, etc.

As a last resort (or in case of emergency!), you can hire a security
expert. Most individuals that deserve the title "expert" charge heaps of
money, usually by the hour.

You will need to consider your own system security... What do you need?
How important is your data? To what degree are you willing to sacrifice
convenience for security?

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon