Date:      25 Feb 2002 14:02:12 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Caleb Walker <cwalker@cwalk.org>, George Reid <greid@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: confussed

Caleb Walker <cwalker@cwalk.org> writes:

> Don't you think that people would learn more about FreeBSD if there was less
> dicks that flame for no apparent reason.  The question was simple and the
> answer could have been simple.  I am sorry if you were having a bad day when
> you wrote this but maybe you can keep it out of the list.

I agree with your first sentence and I've complained to such types in
the past.  But we apparently disagree here about "no apparent reason".
It was obviously not a serious question; nobody's so stupid as to not
know the obvious answer.  I first composed a long, multi-part answer to
his question, to make him sorry he asked, but then I thought better of
treating his question seriously and replaced it with the flame.  I
expected his juvenile reaction (which soon followed and confirmed what
I was already sure about), but I truly think that such flames help
these children mature.  Whether they belong on the list, I'm less sure.

> As far as the grammar, maybe he or she does not speak English natively.  More
> understanding and less criticism would be better.

I don't complain about people's writing if there is some other clue that
they speak ESL or are foreigners; otherwise I consider it a duty to
English to make occasional encouragements to better writing, usually
only when it is blatent enough to reflect the writer's disrespect for
me (and others) by making me work hard to understand their writing.

George Reid <greid@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Please keep your random "I've had a bad day" streams of vitriol off the
> list.

Believe me, you didn't see a "bad day" stream of vitriol.  I really
didn't (and don't) think my response to the troll was too offensive
(it was intentionally polite on the surface) for a list like this.
Your opinion will no doubt have some effect on me, and I don't mind
you expressing it on or off the list, though I do find hypocrisy in
your list-posting a not-much-different personal admonition.

> This is a questions list.  That means that people will ask questions.  If
> you don't want to answer them, don't post anything.

It should have been obvious to anyone that it wasn't a serious question.
It was a rhetorical question, not indended to elicit an answer, but to
elicit thinking or emotional responses, in this case both.  It got both.

I considered sending it only to the troller, but I assumed that showing
the list my response would let others know that sentiment had already
been expressed so they needn't bother.  But I'll think thrice before
CC'ing the list with such responses next time.  That's what newsgroups
are for, maybe.