Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:16:40 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: possible mountroot regression

On Aug 26, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

>=20
> It seems that after the introduction of the mountroot scripting =
language a user
> now has exactly one chance to try to specify a correct root device at =
the
> mountroot prompt.  I am not sure that that is convenient/enough.

This is no different from before.

> I suspect that the following code is the cause:
>=20
> static void
> vfs_mountroot_conf0(struct sbuf *sb)
> {
>        char *s, *tok, *mnt, *opt;
>        int error;
>=20
>        sbuf_printf(sb, ".onfail panic\n");
> =85

Yes.

It is certainly a behavior we can improve upon. It's
rather annoying to get a panic on a typo. However,
we must remain cognizant of the fact that an immediate
hard failure is what's needed at times.

Maybe a good approach is to change to ".onfail retry"
and extend the root mount prompt with a reboot command,
so that the user/operator is does not have to worry
about typos *and* don't have to trigger a panic just
so that he/she can initiate a reboot.

Thoughts?

--=20
Marcel Moolenaar