Date:      01 Jan 98 22:07:15 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/shutdown.d not in bsd

Being used to /etc/shutdown.d in SysV, I can't understand BSD can do without
it.

In sysV, /etc/shutdown.d contains scripts to shutdown system services etc. at
shutdown in a proper and orderly way; the scripts are executed in alfabetical
order.

What would one do to ensure e.g. first the application using the database is
shutdown, then the database itself is shutdown.

Init, or the shutdown-command sends kill -15 to all running processes, the man
says, but it doesn't say in which order.

Am I the only one missing a neat way to do it, or do you folks out there never
stop your servers? :-)

Could, and would somebody implement a sysV-like shutdown.d, just as there
exists a dir (or more) to start scripts at startup? I don't want to have to
have a special script I have to remember to call instead just shutdown, reboot
and halt.
Or would this be blasfemous(sp?) against the BSD-belief to do such a
sysV-thing?

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---