Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2008 18:26:04 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Geoffrey <geoffrey@reptiles.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sane configuration in Freebsd 7

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:59:04AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>
> Hi Marc
>
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 05:36:18PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Regarding
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/scanners.html,
> >>
> >> sane-find-scanner won't find a scanner if uscanner is in the kernel (as
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm not sure to understand you.  What do you mean by "sane-find-scanner
> > won't find a scanner if uscanner is in the kernel" ?
> >
>  	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
> not find a usb scanner if:
>
> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>
>  	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
> the kld uscanner.  Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
> if uscanner is loaded.
>  	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
>  	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners

[...]

% sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x220e) at /dev/uscanner0

% kldstat -v | grep scanner
267 uhub/uscanner

I can reproduce the same behavior on another machine (both of them run a
kernel with uscanner support in).

You should check your configuration and maybe see if your scanner does
not need you to load a firmware.

--
Marc