Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:43:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

Justin T. Gibbs recently said:

> >} The drive will reinitialize to the 'power on state' if the
> >} power fluctuates into a zone that might invalidate it's
> >} run-time state. It doesn't take a very long spike for the
> >} drive's power-glitch sensor to go off. In this case, dropping
> >} cached contents on the floor is much safer than attempting to
> >} continue from an unknown state.

> >If that's the reason for the problem that I saw, then the UPS the
> >system was plugged into wasn't sufficient to prevent the problem.

> Why is that? Do you have gremlins walking around hitting the reset
> buttons on your machines? The UPS should isolate the machine from
> any drop in power that would cause it to lose its brain other than
> that caused by a hardware failure or an administrator hitting the
> reset or power switch.

All UPSes (UPSii) are not alike.  The industrial units have some
pretty severe power conditioning.   At one time there was a
distinction between a UPS and a Battery Backup - the latter only
being a switch over circuit.

High end units will ensure a constant exact power output, highly
filtered and reliable.  The best of them actually run the systems
off of a converted AC to DC - so they appear - electrically at
least - to be running from a battery - a device which has no
spikes, and a very even output.