Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:23:01 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Phil Reynolds <phil@tinsleyviaduct.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI oddity

Phil Reynolds wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:54:41AM -0500, Jason Andresen wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>	I have an Abit BX6-II motherboard with 5 PCI slots.  Whenever
>>I try to populate both of the bottom two slots, FreeBSD crash dumps
>>on boot.  I have tried this with a variety of cards over the years,
>>but I always have the same results.
>>
>>Is this a FreeBSD problem, a motherboard problem, or a problem with the
>>PCI cards?
>

> A motherboard issue. It is normal for some slots to share bus mastering or
> IRQs. RTFM, it tells you which ones do, and also which ones share with on-board
> kit.

My manual doesn't tell me squat about the interrupts on the board.  My
guess what that the two slots share an IRQ, because PCI only has IIRC 4
IRQ lines to go around.  That's why I was worried it might be an issue
with FreeBSD being unable to support shared cards.

It is the bottom two PCI slots that give me problems though (one of
which is the shared PCI/ISA slot, but that doesn't seem to matter).

>>Recently I realized that I really need 6 PCI cards in the box (5 ATA
>>controllers and 1 NIC).  Right now it's semi-crippled with just the 4
>>cards (3 ATA controllers with some drives on slaves and 1 NIC), and I
>>was thinking about upgrading to a Tyan Trinity 400.  Will I not be able
>>to populate this board beyond 4 cards?
>

> It all depends on what is happy to share interrupts etc.

Are there certain cards that are known to be good about sharing interrupts?

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer