Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:05:23 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Gordon.Broom@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails

Gord Broom wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > I think I would wipe out /usr/obj and start over. You might even
> > consider a coupld of "make cleandir" in /usr/src. This time pay
> > attention to the sequence in /usr/src/UPDATING. As you can see, it
> > works.
> >

> During my many previous attempts, I had blown /usr/obj away and started afresh.
> This time, I tried the 'make cleandir' as well, and then followed the
> "Upgrading 4.0 (and later) to 4.x-STABLE" instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> Worked like a charm (yay!), thanks!
>
> ardbeg:src$ uname -a
> FreeBSD ardbeg 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Wed Jan 24 20:31:22 PST 2001     root@ardbeg:/usr/local/obj/usr/src/sys/ARDBEG  i386
> ardbeg:src$
>
> Gord. [who notes that 'make cleandir' isn't mentioned anywhere in
> /usr/src/UPDATING :-( ]

Cool! It was something that seemed appropriate to suggest that you
try. I could not see why some people in fairly clean conditions had
trouble and I didn't unless something like this was going on. Your
first email was also the first time that it popped into my mind to try
that high in the source tree.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA