Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 11:14:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DOC changes: speak now!

The make process in /usr/src/share/doc is ugly.  If you want details, just
look at it.  In short, it makes two passes over the tree, each time with a
different value of PRINTER.  This creates problems for a tree with a mix
of document sources.

If there are no objections, I will change the default for PRINTER in
bsd.doc.mk from ps to ascii since the latter is universally usable while
the former is not.  Then I will make the toplevel Makefile for the doc
tree a standard subdir makefile.  This means that only ascii documents
will be generated and installed from roff source, with ascii and html
being generated and installed for sgml source.  Those whe have access to a
postscript printer/viewer may manually type `make PRINTER=ps' to generate
postscript.

Ultimately, bsd.doc.mk should be changed to generate multiple formats in a
single pass as bsd.sgml.mk does.  The makefiles need to have some internal
knowledge of what output formats are possible (or relevant) for the given
input.  This is necessary because we are dealing with roff, texinfo and
sgml documents, and potentially all could exist in the same tree so
setting a global output format is problematic.  For example, html output
is valid for sgml source (and potentially for texinfo), but the make
would die on roff documents.

If there are any objections, SPEAK NOW.  I would like to put these
changes in on Friday if there are no objections.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============