Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MAKEDEV Support for sd and st Devices (was: time for some new man pages)

I have scripts that run on multiple operating systems, using sd and st
devices.

> >I think 'MAKEDEV st0' still works.  And, it appears that 'MAKEDEV all'
> >will still attempt to create ??st0 devices.  Likewise for sd[0-3].
>
> Not in -current.
>
> >I am running a -current SMP of Sat Sep 5 19:58:37 PDT 1998.  CVSUP'ed
> >about 5 hours earlier.
> >
> ># ls -l /dev/MAKEDEV
> >-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  30774 May 20  1997 /dev/MAKEDEV*
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ more than 4 months out of date
>
> Bruce

So, it appears that cvsup does not update MAKEDEV.  Well, I have been
lucky on that one.

It appears that installation support for sd and st disappeared over a
year ago.  When I have another opportunity to rebuild or restore a
FreeBSD system, I will have to manually create sd and st device files.
Is this true?  That is, unless I use an existing system to bootstrap
rebuild or restoration.

Earlier,

> >On 30-Sep-98 Julian Elischer wrote:
> > >  I doubt that it would cause much long term  heartache.
> >Especially since you can use the old names still anyway..
> >(MAKEDEV still makes them AFAIK)
>
> I'm thinking of removing them from MAKEDEV.  Obviously no one uses
> MAKEDEV to create them, since it doesn't work.  (od works, but sd is
> missing from one case list, and st isn't supported.)
>
> Bruce

> But, once DEVFS works with CAM, I guess the only device nodes that will be
> supported are the new-name device nodes.  (Unless we make a decision to
> create both.)
>
> Ken

Is it possible to restore sd and st support just to be compatible with
other operating systems?  Even if FreeBSD core members do not want
them?  Is this even a consideration?

tomdean