Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:35:05 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, FreeBSD-Alpha <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network cards

Mike Smith wrote:
> > I had just finished getting what I thought was the final piece of my new
> > alpha system, when I realized I don't have a network card.  I don't know
> > if there are any compatibility problems with network cards and my
> > PC164SX motherboard ... could someone recommend a good 10BaseT network
> > card that works on that system?
> >
> > I like to avoid the cheapest, and for this, I don't need the best ...
> > Thanks.
>
> I'd suggest eg. a Cnet Pro-110, which is based on the Asix chipset.
> Most of Bill Paul's drivers work on the Alpha, and most of the cards
> they support are in the $20-40 range.

Watch out for the Intel Ether Express Pro 100's.  Although the driver is
listed as working, it doesn't (and they're not particularly cheap either).
(it's the old virtual/physical problem where rman_get_virtual() returns a
physical address rather than the mapping window and the kernel page faults)

Cheers,
-Peter