Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:18:50 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to PPP FAQ - solution for Macintoshes and Black Hole  DSL routers

--3wfpuDtTLg8/Vq6g

Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:

>    <question>
> -    <para>Why do my Windows 98 connections freeze when I run PPPoE on th=
e gateway</para>
> +    <para>Why do Mac and Windows 98 connections freeze when running PPPo=
E on the gateway</para>
>    </question>

I think I'd say "MacOS" instead of "Mac" here.

>      <para>
> -    This is due to what's called a "Black Hole" router.  Windows 98 (and
> -    maybe other Microsoft OSs) is sending TCP packets with a requested
> -    segment size too big to fit into a PPPoE frame (MTU is 1500 by defau=
lt
> -    for ethernet) <emphasis remap=3Dbf>and</emphasis> have the "don't fr=
agment"
> -    bit set (default of TCP) and the Telco router is not sending ICMP "m=
ust
> +    This is due to what's called a "Black Hole" router.  MacOS and Windo=
ws 98
> +    (and maybe other Microsoft OSs) send TCP packets with a requested se=
gment
> +    size too big to fit into a PPPoE frame (MTU is 1500 by default for
> +    ethernet) <emphasis remap=3Dbf>and</emphasis> have the "don't fragme=
nt" bit
> +    set (default of TCP) and the Telco router is not sending ICMP "must

I've reorganised that so fewer lines are changed (I think it's easier
for translators that way).

=2E..
     <para>
-    This is due to what's called a "Black Hole" router.  Windows 98 (and
-    maybe other Microsoft OSs) is sending TCP packets with a requested
+    This is due to what's called a "Black Hole" router.  MacOS and Windows=
 98 (and
+    maybe other Microsoft OSs) send TCP packets with a requested
     segment size too big to fit into a PPPoE frame (MTU is 1500 by default
=2E..

I'll commit your patch soon unless anyone objects, or you'd rather do it
yourself.  It's a bit better than the patch I created was, anyway. :-)

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /

--3wfpuDtTLg8/Vq6g