Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:26:05 -0500
From:      "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" <myevmenkin@att.com>
To:        "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ethernet TAP device driver released

Hello Mike,

It seems to me bfp can bind to EXISTING interface. I.e. you have to
have phisical interface. (if I wrong, correct me :) This driver will
create a VIRTUAL Ethernet interface "tapX" with random MAC address etc.
You can attach bpf to this interface.

In other words you can connect computer to Ethernet network without
having Ethernet card. All you need is just ANY type of connection. I was
using ppp to connect to remote server with VTUN and DID HAVE ETHERNET
network.

BTW, what the difference between TUN and BPF :-)

Regards,

eMax.