Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 01:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interface woes, interface is up and has an ip assigned to it, but it cannot ping out and it can't be pinged

--- Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> It can be silly but... here it goes:
>
> Are the wires connected where they are supposed to be?
> I mean, do you know  which of your nics  is pcn0 and which is pcn1 ?
>
> ... It happened to me.

not silly at all... the layer one problems are probably the most common.

i did check, believe it or not, the first time i was getting frustrated
the cable was going from the nic on the FreeBSD box to the nic on my XP
box and i was getting really frustrated that the switch wasn't lighting
up. :)

however, i've resolved all layer 1 issues.  the cable has been tested for
both nics... the status changes from no carrier to active.  so i know
which nic is which.

however, now i'm getting another issue.  pcn1 is not taking it's ip
address.  it seems that only pcn0 has an ip address.

but i still can't ping anything outside of the machine itself. :/