Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 02:04:50 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp a whole tree?

I used to use mget (in non-interactive mode) to
ftp a directory and its contents but it required having
the subdirectory structure in place (a pain in the butt).
Nowadays I just tar the directory and ftp the tarball.
It's much faster and more reliable.

on the source machine :
tar cvf mytarball.tar myparentdirectory

ftp from one machine to the other :
ftp the tarball (mytarball.tar) to the other machine

on the destination machine :
then tar -xvf mytar.tar on the destination machine.

nice b/c it preserves the ownerships on files etc.
apologies if you already knew all this. of course, if
you only have ftp access then mget is the only way.

chas