Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:44:19 -0600
From:      "Paul Fulghum" <paulkf@microgate.com>
To:        "Stan Brown" <stanb@netcom.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Road Runer cable modem network, and FreeBSD

From Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
> a friend of mine has a cablemodem, and I want toset up a machine
> for him. However he is on the Road Runer netowk (Time Warner?). It is
> my understanding that the following are true of the:
>
> 1. They _require_ DHCP.
> 2. They require some sort of "login" after establishing the network
>    layer connection.
 ...Snip...
> Can anyone confir that they have this working?

I have FreeBSD (3.2) working as my gateway for Timer Warner Road Runner
(aka Road Kill) in Austin, TX. The DHCP was not a problem, I used a
dhcp client package in the ports (widedhcp I think). Directions for this
package are straight forward.

The user login, on the other hand, is a problem. There is a package
on the net (search for rrlogin) that sort of worked some of the time :(
Fortunately, at least in Austin, TW recently removed the login requirement
unless you are changing account names/passwords etc over the net.

So, if the login in your area is only required for acct maintenance then
it should be smooth sailing (apart from the spotty service of RR),
otherwise you may be struggling.

Good Luck

Paul Fulghum paulkf@microgate.com
Microgate Corporation www.microgate.com