Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:19:45 -0700
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID support? Which controller best to use?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:56:58 -0700
Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:

> Olaf Greve wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Well, the plot thickens and I have another follow-up question after all...
> >
> > I relayed the information I gathered from you all, and the person in
> > charge indicated that he couldn't get the 9500S-4 directly from their
> > normal supplier.
> >
> > They are somewhat pressed for installing the machine very soon, so he
> > asked me if I knew if the Adaptec 2410SA would also work well...
> >
> > The details of this adapter can be found at:
> > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AAR-2410SA&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSerial+ATA%2fSerial+ATA+RAID+Controllers
> >

> > Surprise, surprise, once again FreeBSD is not mentioned on the list of
> > supported OSes (do people even realise it exists? :( ).
> >
> > Has anyone tried this particular RAID controller, or a different Adaptec
> > SATA one?
> >
> > I myself use Adaptec SCSI RAID controllers (the 2100S and the 2200S),
> > and they are both supported in the generic kernel, but then, that's SCSI...
> >
> > Thanks again; if this adapter isn't any good with FreeBSD amd64 I'll
> > tell them, and will urge them to do their best to find a 9500S (in fact:
> > I'll already make sure to tell him that the list concensus is that the
> > 9500S is preferrable).
> >
> > Cheers!
> > Olafo
> >

> All Adaptec RAID controllers are supported under FreeBSD.  Adaptec
> doesn't offer formal support for FreeBSD, though, and that is why it's
> not mentioned on their website.  Also, I'd recommend getting the 2810
> instead of the 2410 if your budget allows for it.

This is a bit off topic for this thread but related so thought I'd
share.  I just had to RMA an LSI card and their support was exemplary.
They've got my business for life.  Didn't have to deal w/any offshore
call centers.  Two levels into a phone tree and 30 minutes on the phone
w/ the tech confirming the diagnosis and a new one was on the way FedEx
Next Day. Sweet;-)

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson