Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 12:18:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 - is it worth to take a look at?

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998 11:32:07 +0200 (MEST), Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:
>A new compression tool - bzip2 - is gaining popularity
I've only seen a single other reference to it, although that reference
suggested it was also being used for distributing Linux add-ons.

>bzip2 compresses about 20 % better than gzip.
I did a few tests of my own with bzip2 on FreeBSD executables and
found a 5-10% saving over gzip (YMMV).  The big killer was the speed -
I found that bzip2 was somewhat slower than gzip -9 to compress, and
around an order of magnitude slower to decompress (this was running
on a superSPARC-II processor - I don't know how processor-sensitive
the code is and can't quickly check on a FreeBSD machine).

In the specific case of the installation floppy itself, where size
is the critical factor and speed is relatively unimportant (unless
you have a 386, like one of my machines), bzip2 may be useful.  I
would not like to see bzip2 used in place of gzip for the CD-ROM
installation archives.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au