Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Dorin" <mad@theoden.adc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Fragmentation? How can I tell...

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Michael A. Dorin wrote:

> How can I tell if my memory is getting fragmented.

UNIX memory doesn't "fragment."  You can have memory leaks that leave bits
of allocated but unattached memory laying around, but these go away when
the program is terminated.

The best way, I guess, is to use vmstat or top to keep an eye on memory
and swap usage, and if it keeps going up with no corresponding increase in
processes, then get worried.

> Does Apache fragment the memory a lot?
> I am getting 5-17,000 hits a day.

Not really.  If you thought you were having a problem, you could rebuild
it with phkmalloc which will let you know if it is doing bad things.

> Do I have to reboot my machine a lot to clean up the memory?

That's about your only option if you do have a leak.

We have a system that's been up 71 days running an ancient Apache that
isn't seeing any major problems or memory leaks.