Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:16:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which NICs for 10 Mbps now, 100 Mbps later?

I need to put two additional NICs into a machine that already has an
NE2000 clone and a 3Com 3C595.  While the new connections will initially
be 10baseT, I may want to migrate some of them to 100baseT later.

I know that some people have had problems getting NICs to come up at the
speed which is appropriate to the hub, so I wanted to solicit some
recommendations first.  As I've had good experience with 3Com cards in two
different FreeBSD systems (the aforementioned 3C595 and a 3C590), I
thought maybe I could just stick with 3Com cards.

However, 3Com doesn't seem to have either the 3C595 or 3C590 as current
products anymore.  Instead, there is a 3C905 (Fast EtherLink XL).

Perusing the mailing list archives, it looks like the 3C905 is supported
by the vx driver, but I wanted to get a little bit more detail: Will this
card work in both 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps modes without difficulty?  Will the
card (and FreeBSD) autosense properly?

If the answer is yes, then I hope that the Handbook gets updated so that
folks like me won't ask so many questions.  :-)

( http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook10.html )

dw
--
A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @