Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:56:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another advocacy opportunity

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Szilveszter Adam wrote:

> Hello guys, I am sorry that I can only write to you now when perhaps all
> this is already obsolete but it's only now morning in Europe:-)

I just made that by morning comment hoping to entice those of you in the
Eastern Hemisphere into responding.  I am in DC myself.  :)

> "nearly 200" and the reader happens to have heard of Linux, they might
> think: Linux has much more volunteers working on that, it must be better. If

The way both Wes and myself phrased it seems to suggest 200 full time
profession developers.  We all know that is untrue, but I cannot help it
if you read it wrong. :)

> "FreeBSD is developed by a large group of volunteers worldwide and nearly
> 200 skilled developers (the so-called committers) evaluate each proposed
> change carefully in order to ensure reliability and stability on an ongoing
> basis."

While nobody'd doubt this is this is far more accurate, I have tried to
avoid technical detail (except around the ports installation mechanism) at
the expense of correctness.  I do not feel that the average reader'd
follow this procedure in an introductory article (it is clear I am
targetting this at people who've never heard of FreeBSD before).

Jamie