Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:01:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spontanous reboot on SMP system FBSD 4.4-RC

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Kevin Way wrote:

To ensure that our spontanous reboot problem is not related on an obvious hardware
fault, I put the faulty machine under heavy load.

Since yesterday afternoonn, 1800, this machine runs under a permanent load of
20. We run about 25 smaller numerical simulation, torturing both CPUs. To lock
all of the remaining memory, I use memtest from the ports and run 4 of them, each
one locks about 300 MB RAM so this machine is now permanently swapping, and
hopefully torturing the PCI bus system, the RAID controller and other subsystem.
Therefor, this morning, when my colleagues started to work, they set up a high
network traffic. I'll keep running this test this day and the following night
if no one has a better idea to squeeze out the last performance of this machine
to see whether it has a hardware problem or FreeBSD suffers from problems with
SMP.

:>> In the early time of FBSD 4.3 I have had this problem, too. But it seemed
:>> to me that after a while the problem has gone away. At this moment the servers
:>> run FBSD 4.4-RC, cvsupdated three days ago (and for that with a recent system
:>> running).
:>
:>My firewall, a little dual celeron, has also started locking up at random
:>after a Sep 2 rebuild.  I'm sorry that I can't offer a kernel dump or anything
:>but the machine locks hard, no console, no network, nothing.
:>
:>If I find any clue as to what could be causing this, I'll follow-up.
:>
:>Kevin Way
:>

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)