Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 01:01:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Wes Peters" <wes@dobox.com>, <stephens@cnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Maxtor picks Windows, dumps open source

What I found most interesting was that according to Maxtor,
this product is brand-new, thus it's never been touched by a
customer before.  It would have been more impressive if they
had released this product onto the market with FreeBSD on it,
and then withdrew it later.  If that was the case, their
competence with FreeBSD would give some credibility to their
statements.

However, as it stands now with this product, Maxtor has proved
neither competence with FreeBSD, nor competence with Windows 2000.
All they have shown is that they have been competent in
using the threat of FreeBSD to extract additional licensing
concessions from Microsoft.  At this time I don't even see
any proof that they were even running FreeBSD on their product.

Rather than a denoucement of FreeBSD, if you read between the lines
you will see that this is actually quite a feather in FreeBSD's
cap.  The story headline would have been more accurately written:

"Microsoft gives up Client Licensing revenue to keep Maxtor
from using FreeBSD on their new storage product"

Then, all you would have had to do was reorder the quotes in
the article so that Mr. Wilkin's comments about being the
first licensee to get free CAL on Win2K were first, and Mr.
Wilkin's quotes about FreeBSD not supporting such and such
were last, and the article would have fitted the headline
perfectly.

Don't forget that Cnet is a profit-making business and
has no choice but to write the article in such a manner as
to gain the most interest.  People are tired of reading
articles titled "Microsoft this" and "Microsoft that"
they want to read about the alternatives to Microsoft.
This story was headlined as a FreeBSD story, not a
Microsoft story, even though it's really just another story
about Microsoft wheeling and dealing.