Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:04:52 -0600
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fast Flash Support?

I have a stack of 4 and 8 meg SMART Technologies Fast Flash PCMCIA cards
here that I've been trying, off and on, to make work under FreeBSD.  My
first issue, back awhile, was getting the card recognized by pccard.conf.
Got that taken care of.

My problem now is really one of how to express the config in pccard.conf.
This might well be a conceptual gap on my part.  It seems that all of the
flash cards in pccard.conf have a config statement that attaches them to
the wdc1 controller.  Trouble is that I already have a wdc1 controller, and
it has a cdrom drive hanging off it.  It seems that no matter what I do, I
end up with a resource allocation failure when pccard.conf attempts to
config the flash card, probably because wdc1 already exists.

Creating an wdc2 device doesn't work, because there is no physical hardware
to correspond to a wdc2 controller.  The kernel merely reports wdc2 not
found.  I checked the PAO FAQ and followed the recommendation there to
check the pccardc dumpcis output for a configuration entry that might give
me an idea as to what I/O address to use in creating a wdc2.  No
configuration entry.  Here's the output of dumpcis:

Configuration data for card in slot 1
Tuple #1, code = 0x1 (Common memory descriptor), length = 4
    000:  57 79 1e ff
        Common memory device information:
                Device number 1, type FLASH EEPROM, WPS = OFF
                Speed = 8.0 x 10 ns, Memory block size = 2Mb, 4 units
Tuple #2, code = 0x1e (Geometry info for common memory), length = 6
    000:  02 11 01 01 03 01
Tuple #3, code = 0x18 (JEDEC descr for common memory), length = 3
    000:  01 ad ff
Tuple #4, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 45
    000:  05 00 53 4d 41 52 54 20 4d 6f 64 75 6c 61 72 20
    010:  54 65 63 68 6e 6f 6c 6f 67 69 65 73 00 20 38 4d
    020:  42 20 46 4c 41 53 48 20 43 61 72 64 00
        Version = 5.0, Manuf = [SMART Modular Technologies],card vers = [
8MB FLASH Card]
        Addit. info = [],[]
Tuple #5, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0

Is there another way to express the config in pccard.conf?  Is it simply a
matter of lacking an appropriate device for the flash controller?

I'd think that I could address the flash card as wd1, but I'm not sure how
to do it, especially in the absence of an explicit controller for the
pccard.

I get a sense that I'm missing something pretty obvious.  Perhaps I need to
upgrade to -current?  I'm running 3.2-RELEASE at the moment, no PAO.

At any rate, here's the relevant pccard.conf entry:

# SMART Modular Technologies 8 meg flast flash card
card "SMART Modular Technologies" " 8MB FLASH Card"
	config 	0x1	"wdc1"	15
	insert 	echo	Smart 8 meg flash inserted
	remove 	echo	Smart 8 meg flash removed

Any clues welcome.  If these cards are flat unsupported, I'd be willing to
donate one of them to the cause.

Thanks,

Ben

--