Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:54:12 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Huidae Cho <hdcho@unix.knu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp & tar

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:39:24 +0900, Huidae Cho wrote:

> Exactly, what i want is on the fly compression and archiving feature
> using default ftpd.

Oooh. Different story. :-)

I don't think FreeBSD's standard ftpd can do on-the-fly compression, nor
archiving.

> i won't like to install wu-ftpd and etc.

I think you have to make a decision here. Either go for bloated code
that offers you extra features, or make do with FreeBSD's more
stream-lined but less feature-rich offering. :-(

Of course, if you make use of a client that offers recursive gets, you
probably won't need the extra features that are missing from our ftpd.

Consider lftp or ncftp, both in the net category of the ports tree.

Cia,
Sheldon.