Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2020 05:31:30 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cups on FreeBSd-12.1p7

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 16:47:49 -0700, Russell L. Carter wrote:
> In addition to what Tomasz mentioned, I had to delete/reinstall my
> printer.  But I was very happy to do so because now FreeBSD cups
> competently understands IPP Everywhere(TM) which means that the house
> printer (Brother HL L2340D) can now be managed natively by FreeBSD
> 12-stable rather than by Debian-testing sharing with the sad out of
> date FreeBSD cups.

In addition to re-installing all CUPS-related parts
(CUPS itself, its backends, printer filters, converters
and so on), deleting and re-installing the printer itself
often solves CUPS problem. It's not the first time that
this solution has saved me from endless CUPS log diagnostic
sessions... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany