Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:36:50 +0100
From:      "Bruno Campanelli" <bcampanelli@quipo.it>
To:        "Jeff Brown" <j_brown11@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and security

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Jeff Brown" <j_brown11@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 8:25 PM
Subject: FreeBSD and security

>>I am planning to install FreeBSD and use it as my web server.  I have=20
>>wireless cable internet access and I am running straight into the =
webserver=20
>>and then out to my switch (i have 3 desktops) Will I need to =
incorporate a=20
>>hardware firewall, or does FreeBSD have adequate security built in?

Yes,it does have security built in,provided you activate it.
You can use one of the two commonly used firewalls:
ipfw or ipfilter (I prefer ipfilter because use a very simple and strong =

ruleset logic).
If you decide to use IPFW,see "Chapter 10.8:Firewalls",of the FreeBSD=20
Handbook (online on www.freebsd.org/handbook, and you can download it=20
from the site in various formats) on how to set up IPFW.
If you want to use IPFilter here is a list of useful resources online:
IPFilter home page:
   http://www.ipfilter.org
IPFilter examples:
   http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/examples.html
IPFilter how-to:
   http://www.unixcircle.com/ipf/
IPFilter mailing list archive:
   http://false.net/ipfilter
Guido van Rooij has written some real nice IPFilter papers:
   http://www.madison-gurkha.com/all_publications.shtml
Address Allocation for Private Internets:
   http://www.muine.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt
The IP Network Address Translator (NAT):
   http://www.muine.org/rfc/rfc1631.txt
Traditional IP Network Address Translator (Traditional NAT)
   http://www.muine.org/rfc/rfc3022.txt
Bandwidth management:
   http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
The Twenty Most Critical Internet Security Vulnerabilities (Updated)
   http://66.129.1.101/top20.htm

IPFilter and PF resources=20
http://www.unixcircle.com/ipf/ [San Jose, CA, USA]=20
http://www.pir.net/pir/ipf/ [Boston, MA, USA]=20
http://www.openlysecure.org/content/html/www.obfuscation.org/ipf =
[Surrey, UK]=20
http://mirrors.sunroot.de/www.obfuscation.org/ipf [Kerpen, Germany]=20
http://www.grunta.com/ipf/ [Melbourne, Victoria, AU]=20
http://www.darkart.com/mirrors/www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ [Oakland, CA, =
USA]=20
FreeBSD rc.firewall patch=20
synk has a patch to add simple ipf configuration to your FreeBSD =
/etc/rc.firewall=20
http://www.iae.nl/users/guido/papers/tcp_filtering.ps.gz=20
Real Stateful TCP Packet Filtering in IP Filter by Guido Van Rooij =
[local copy] [local pdf version]=20
http://www.false.net/ipfilter/=20
The searchable ipfilter mailing list archive=20
http://www.iae.nl/users/guido/bsdcon2000/=20

Cheers,

>> Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN.=20
>> http://wine.msn.com/

---
[Quipo ISP - Questa E-mail e' stata controllata dal programma Declude Virus]
[Quipo ISP - This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]