Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 05:01:14 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrative tag a possibility?

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Say introducing a convention like '$!$' to denote an always to be
> > acceptable change?
>
> No, not acceptable.
>
> In this case, mergemaster should be smart enough to notice that the file
> in question was unchanged before the merge, and just not irritate you in
> the first place.

OK.

But alas, it isn't. So if the quick and dirty solution is unacceptable
than how about increasing its smarts? Going by the example given

 -#      $Id: gettytab,v 1.16 1998/09/02 01:34:55 brian Exp $
 +# $FreeBSD: src/etc/gettytab,v 1.16.2.1 1999/08/29 14:18:43 peter Exp $

This suggest that a convention is already in place. Like - hubba, hubba;
it's been a long time since I've last done interesting regexps -

"$[A-Z][:alpha:]+: .*, v [0-9]+.[0-9][0-9].*[0-9]@4/[0-9]@2/[0-9]@2 \
[:HhMmSs:] .* $"

Don't know if it makes sense since I've invented some conventions. Like
using the @ to denote it's followed by a number indicating the numer of
occurrences of the previous pattern. The / means just that and the
backslash the UNIX shell usual. Also the :alpha: denotes alfanumeric
characters and the :HhMmSs: is meant to denote a time pattern.

Incorporating such a pattern together with an  option to indicate that
the pattern may be used to automatically install the new version without
further ado iff lines matching that pattern form the only changes between
the two versions, might be an acceptable alternative to the q&d I first
suggested.

Roelof