Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:06:51 +1100
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>
Cc:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>, freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Creating new locales

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:05:12PM +0100, Alexander Pohoyda wrote:

> Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net> writes:
>
> > The charset encoding is utf8, so I created an LC_TYPE with a UTF2
> > encoding. And that's about as far as I have gone.
>
> UTF2 is a typo, isn't it? Did you mean LC_CTYPE ? A file in
> /usr/share/locale/xxx.UTF-8 directory?

UTF2 is an old name for what is now called UTF-8, and it is what you need
to put in LC_CTYPE source files (/usr/src/share/mklocale/*.src) to get
something which resembles UTF-8 on FreeBSD 4.7 and earlier.
(-STABLE and -CURRENT have a proper UTF-8 encoding now, and UTF2 is
being phased out)

See this document:
Rob Pike and Ken Thompson, "Hello World", Proceedings of the Winter 1993
USENIX Technical Conference, USENIX Association, January 1993.
[http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.pdf]

"Our proposal, which was originally known informally as UTF-2 and FSS-UTF, is
now referred to as UTF-8 and has been approved by ISO to become Annex P to
ISO 10646."

Tim