Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 00:03:30 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

Terry Lambert wrote in message ID
<199607082224.PAA22643@phaeton.artisoft.com>:
> 2)	You are required to have working disk drivers and FS
> 	mounts working to do a port to a new platform.

I'm curious about this one. Having worked on a port of FreeBSD to
another platform (which admitedly died, but that was due to lack of
time, not entheusiasm), it seems working filesystems and disk drivers
are a fairly major priority, as once you have reached the end of
init_main(), you NEED to access a filesystem of some sort to load init
and get booting.

Ok, so I cheated a bit, and compiled in a 1Mb MFS root filesystem just
to get going, but having a root FS in memory does NOT remove the
requirement for having a disk-based filesystem, unless you plan to
have a fairly large (say, enough to hold the bin dist :-) ) root
filesystem in core! And having devfs doesn't really remove the need at
all, as during the inital bootstrap stages when you are still working
on getting the system tied together, you can use whatever major/minor
number pairs you like, and just tweak them to be more sensible
later...

Ok, so devfs may make it a bit easier (maybe, it's another kernel
interface to learn), but I can't see it as a plus in devfs's favour,
nor particularly cut down on development time.

Gary