Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 1997 08:54:15 -0500
From:      Jerry J Kelley <jerrykelley@att.com>
To:        fass@pitnet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD.

I have used both Linux and FreeBSD. I must say that I'm with FreeBSD
because I appreciate the quality of it. That's not to say that Linux
is poor quality it's just that there's more structure and stability
to FreeBSD.

I am very familiar with the type of approach that the FreeBSD team
uses as I work for AT&T and we require controls when developing any
product. You just a get a better feeling that FreeBSD is solid when
you use it. This can be proven by the fact that (as mentioned) many
significant internet sites such as Yahoo and Walnut Creek rely on
FreeBSD as their OS. I've done a lot of software development at the
OS and application level for AT&T and can say that I'm very impressed
by the entire FreeBSD package. I believe that one can't go wrong with
it.

If you're serious about learning the nuts and bolts of UNIX and a real
OS, then FreeBSD is your choice. You see a lot about Linux because the
publishing world is in love with it right now and everyone's grandmother
is writing a book about it. Be careful about letting what you see on
the shelf at your bookstore guide your views of this industry. You can't
always believe what you read!

** VIEWS OR OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS MAIL ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT AT&T. **
Jerry J. Kelley <jerrykelley@att.com>
Senior Technical Staff Member
AT&T Network & Computing Systems
6612 E. 75th St., Indianapolis, IN 46250
317-570-3103 voice  317-570-3297 FAX