Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 09:15:30 +0800
From:      "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@skyinet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TCP Connections

Hi,

I appreciate any input on this regard.

How does one go about intentionally ending an active TCP connection to a
server?

This seemed easy at first when I thought about it. All I have to do is
kill the daemon entertainng that active TCP connection. For example,
killing the stand alone server daemon telnetd would disconnect all
active telnet sessions or if I just want to end one telnet session, all
I have to do again is kill the specific telnet daemon servicing that
specific telnet session. In short, just kill the appropriate daemon for
the service.

However, what if there exist only one stand alone server daemon that
does not fork another process to service a TCP connection? Example is
the daemon IRCD. I do not see any forked IRCD process to handle an IRC
connection when I do a ps -ax. I was able to see the active TCP
connections to IRCD using the command netstat -an. Ending a telnet
session was easy because I could just kill the telnetd process running
but for this one there is no daemon except for an entry in the table
produced by doing a netstat -an.

To rephrase the question,

How does one intentionally end a TCP connection that does not have a
corresponding forked server process?

or technically,

How do I delete a TCP entry in the table produced by a netstat -an ?

Thank you in advance.

--
rick