Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:41:30 -0400
From:      epilogue@allstream.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd@pursued-with.net
Subject:   Re: Overly brief answers (was Re: Terminal Server)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:51:40 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Kevin Stevens <freebsd@pursued-with.net> wrote:

> > With it understood that opinions vary, I disagree with yours in this
> > case. The question was posed as a "yes or no" question, with no
> > followup. Therefore, "yes" or "no" *precisely* answers it.
> >
> > For all we know, the OP was merely asking to get a quick determination
> > of what the solution set was.  I ask such questions of colleagues
> > often, and am not interested in the particulars at that point.

> > The OP didn't say "as", s/he said "like", and then went on to list the
> > criteria for "like".

> > I don't generally answer implicit questions, and I don't believe that
> > behavior is rude.  Quite the contrary - I believe it is *respectful* to
> > grant the assumption that people mean what they say/ask.

Good points.  Further, I think that we *all* have reasoned assumptions
which inform our replies and with which we have to reckon.

For my part, I tend to assume that people asking general questions
about (or ostensibly specific questions which upon closer examination
reveal their limited exposure to / understanding of) FreeBSD are new to
the project and would probably benefit from whatever 'additional'
information / resources we are able to provide.

> > To do otherwise scans to me as "I don't think you know what you're
> > saying, so I'm going to assume I know better than you and treat you
> > like an idiot.".

I don't think that I've ever been insulted by someone offering me
additional or superfluous help.  E-mail is a fairly impersonal medium.  I
tend to give the benefit of the doubt, whenever possible.  Now, if I bought
a box of soap at the laudromat and was given the soap *and* a course on how
to put the quarters into the machine...

I suppose that ends my 2 cents on this thread.    :)