Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jan Martin Borgersen <borg@cs.unc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10Mbit Ethernet Adapter Performance

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Jan Martin Borgersen wrote:

> Can anyone point me to any performance evaluations
> of 10Mb ISA Ethernet adapters or their device drivers?
>
> I'm getting some really interesting numbers:
>
> On an isolated, 100Mb switched Ethernet hub with no
> other network traffic, I'm running ttcp to perform
> tcp and udp blasts between several 486-66 class
> machines with ISA 10Mb Ethernet adapters.
>
> When machines with generic IBM cards (looks like
> a NS 83905A chip) thrown into NE2000 emulation and
> using the ed0 driver are transmitting, I'm seeing
> network throughputs on the order of 8300 bps.
>
> When machines with 3Com 3C509 Etherlink III's using
> the ep0 driver are transmitting, I'm seeing network
> throughputs on the order of 3500 bps.
>
> Interestingly, the machine I have with a PCI 3C590
> 3Com card using the vx0 driver is transmitting
> at about 7700 bps -- still significantly SLOWER than
> the NE2000 emulated cards!!!!
>
> I've swapped cards among machines -- the bad numbers
> follow the 3C509's and ep0 drivers, and seem to be
> much more a function of transmitter than receiver.
>
> What happened to FreeBSD's 3Com drivers?????  (Or am
> I not configuring something for optimization?)

  The 3COM drivers never did work that well.  This is not new.  It doesn't
help that some of the 3COM have very limited buffer capacity (4k I
belive).  The vx driver als uses PIO, instead of dma.  See man pages for
vx, and ep.

  Also, to me, "bps" means bits per second, so all your number look very
low to me ("b" bit, "B" byte).

> -j

Tom