Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 96 02:26:00 -0800
From:      Mun Fai WONG <mfwong@mol.net.my>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing with FreeBSD

Hi net guru, I am pretty new to FreeBSD and already get to love it. Anyway, my
question is, again as the case for security capability posted in another email,
if I were to propose/recommend FreeBSD as a serious router for a company
LAN, WAN
and/or Internet purpose, I am mostly concerned with the following issues:

- IPX support

- the traffic load on an Intel DX4-100 CPU that will handle 3-4 Ethernet
segments,
  basically I do not know where to get some benchmark figures to rate the packet
  per second throughput for a FreeBSD box configured to do just routing, ie
serves
  no other purpose and hence running minimal number of processes. I realize that
  the number of LAN it routes among is not a good indication of the actual
workload,
  but I just have to modelor compare it with a known brand such as Cisco or
the like.
  Again, no implication of preference bias towards Cisco, but just the
opposite and
  that is the reason I ask these dump questions.
  Has anyone fine-tune or customize a FreeBSD box to do just this sort of
heavy-duty
  routing in a LAN and WAN environment and are willing to share some advise ?

- how many ed interfaces can FreeBSD be configured to support ? From the
LINT kernel
  config file and other it seems only ed0 and ed1, how about anything beyond 1 ?

Thank you very mucho!