Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:58:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lawrence Chen <beastie@tardisi.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        beastie_t@lhaven.homeip.net
Subject:   ports/176690: deskutils/recoll: when something goes wrong it sends SIGTERM to init

>Number:         176690
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       deskutils/recoll: when something goes wrong it sends SIGTERM to init
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD zen.lhaven.homeip.net 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue Dec 4 09:23:10 UTC 2012 root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

	When something goes wrong in recollindex, it seems to cleanup by
	sending SIGTERM to its process group.  And, if recollindex was started
	by root, it brings the system down to single-user mode.
>How-To-Repeat:

	Its difficult to reproduce, as it requires some exec'd by recollindex
	to fail.  Usually when it encounters some document file that isn't
	the type of file it thinks it is and the document filter doesn't fail
	gracefully.

	Or the document file is corrupt, I have a lot because I've been working
	on recovering files from an image of a corrupted harddrive.
>Fix:

	No fix yet, but I think the 'SIGTERM to its process group' is now the
	most likely explanation of what's happening.

	The workaround is probably to never run recollindex as root, except
	I'm trying to index /home, so that I can also search messages in all
	the maildirs on my system.  I suppose if I move all the maildirs....