Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 18:56:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic BT542-B problems (Try to abort ...)

> > Recent experiments (and despite source-code comments) have led me to
> > conclude that the BT742 driver does NOT co-operate with the
> > bounce-buffer scheme in -current on an ISA machine

> Err... the 742 is EISA, and if my memories are correct, the 542 is
> VLB.  Why the heck do you need this driver for ISA?

It seemed like a good idea at the time ... :-)

I've been running a BT542B in AHA-compatible mode for ages but Michael Smith
was kind enough to ship me some new firware so that the BT driver would
actually recognise it as a BT card (which I thought was a Good Thing).

I also thought that the different/extended mailbox stuff (as compared to the
AHA driver) might buy some better on-disk performance (which is what I was
really after). It wasn't to be :-(.

After some drama with microcode revisions that my card simply won't run
with, I found that I can't run the bt driver with 20 meg anyway. When I took
the extra 4 meg out .. it did run faster but not long enough to identify if
this was the driver or just the effect of not using bounce buffers - shortly
afterward, I ran into VM panics with the load that this machine carries ..

Now I'm back where I started, running in AHA mode <sigh> but with (slightly)
newer firmware,

	michael