Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:34:38 -0700
From:      Bob Ney <bney@quiknet.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems getting WaveLAN device (wi0) working

These settings will remove the card from Ad-Hoc mode however, The problems
being experienced are consistant with those I have seen. My BSD machines
talk to each other ok in mode 3, but will not talk to a windows laptop also
running in mode 3. (Ad-Hoc),nor will they talk to the access point. The
Windows machine is running newer drivers and I am wondering if there have
been some protocol changes to the ad-hoc function in the windows and access
point software. Everything works fine in mode 1, but that requires the
access point as the communications hub.

At 01:11 PM 9/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>For mine I have to add the following options to get it to work with the
>AP in default settings:
>
>/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n ""
>/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -s atom
>/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -p 1
>
>-s is not really required, atom is my stationID for my laptop so change
>that to whatever you like.
>
>I have also seen those messages but it doesn't seem to stop it from
>working ... providing the above settings are configured.
>
>-Steve
>
>* Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com> [000920 12:41]:
>> Has anyone else encountered this problem (with a WaveLAN/Orinico card in a
>> ISA->PCMCIA adaptor):
>>
>> On boot, the "pcic" and "pccard" devices come up fine, and "pccardd" is
>> started.  The WaveLAN card is detected, and the "wi0" interface is
>> configured (using my "pccard_ifconfig" setting).  "netstat -r" shows
>> correct routing table entries.  I'm keeping the interface in "ad hoc" mode
>> (port type 3: the default).
>>
>> In other words, everything looks fine, EXCEPT that I'm not seeing any
>> traffic on the interface (e.g., when my other machine - a Windoze laptop
>> with a WaveLAN card also in "ad hoc" mode - tries to do DHCP).
>>
>> One hint is that when I run
>> 	wicontrol -i wi0
>> (to see the interface's settings), I get
>> 	wicontrol: SIOCGWAVELAN: Invalid argument'
>> So, it appears that something hasn't been configured properly.  Any ideas?
>>
>> 	Ross.
>>
>> ps. I had previously gotten a WaveLAN card to work with FreeBSD, but only
>> using a WaveLAN<->Ethernet adaptor box, which - to FreeBSD - looks just
>> like a regular (non-wi) Ethernet interface.  This is my first time trying
>> to get "wi" to work.

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-mobile" in the body of the message

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-mobile" in the body of the message

Bob Ney
Quiknet Inc.
Director Operations
(916) 782-9700