Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 14:15:35 +0200
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, pantzer@zed.ludd.luth.se
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

> On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 12:26:37AM -0700, Steve Rubin wrote:
> > This is not how Etherchannel works.  Anyone from cisco here care to explain
> > better than I possibly could?
> >
> > On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 08:28:55PM -0700, John Milford wrote:
> > >
> > > 	You have to have the capibility on the switch, and enable it
> > > first.  It is called EtherChannel by Cisco, and it is 2 or 4 ports
> > > that all have the same MAC addr plugged into the switch, and the
> > > switch treats them as one interface.
> > >
> Yes Etherchannel uses some other mechanism to balance the load.
> There's another protocol available (from HP I think) which is able to increase
> the bandwidth with MAC-Addresses.
> All interfaces send their data with the same sender-MAC and only one interface
> is used to receive data.
> There is only an increase on sending data which is good for fileservers.
> On the receiving side the other interfaces are only used for standby reasons.

That to needs support in the switch, or it will go nuts.

This is from the manual for a HP 4000M switch:

Trunk Operation Using the Trunk (Source Address/Destination Address, or SA/DA) Option

This method provides the best means for evenly distributing traffic over
trunked links to devices.
Configuring the Trunk (SA/DA) option for a port trunk causes the switch to
distribute traffic in a sequential manner to the links within the trunk on the
basis of source/destination pairs. That is, traffic from the same source address
to the same destination addresses will travel over the same trunked link.
Traffic from the same source address but meant for different destination
addresses will be distributed across different links. Likewise, traffic for the
same destination address but from different source addresses will be distrib-uted
across different links. Because of this feature, broadcasts, multicasts,
and floods from different source addresses are distributed evenly across the
links. As links are added or deleted, traffic will be redistributed across the
trunk. For example, in the three-port trunk shown below, traffic could be
assigned as shown in the table below.