Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 05:31:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: copyright notices for ports/packages

> Ok, there's some merit in that but what I was getting at was if
> they'd built the packages themselves i.e. not used our ports
> system,they'd be in the same boat, if the original code didn't
> install it's Copyright then why should we worry about it?

Because the argument can easily be made that by "automating" it to the
degree we have, we've removed even the most general oversight the user
would usually have were they building the sources by hand.

I'm just trying to forstall any future bad feeling, and we should
definitely go the extra mile to make sure that copyrights are
preserved out of ports and packages if for no other reason than to
make US more aware of the licenses we're using or abusing.

					Jordan