Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:01:19 -0300 (EST)
From:      Carlos Carvalho <carlos@fisica.ufpr.br>
To:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOFTWARE-RAID-TIPS (was: Adaptec 7890 and RAID portIII RAID controller Linux Support)

Osma Ahvenlampi (oa@razorfish.fi) wrote on 22 March 1999 12:52:
 >Beau James <bjames@cisco.com> writes:
 >> Why bother breaking these directories into separate partitions,
 >> especially if you are going to put all of them onto a RAID array?
 >
 >Well, there is the issue of different mount options (nosuid,noexec,etc)
 >that you might want to set for some directories. Another issue is
 >system vs data separation and user quotas.

Exactly. I think system X data separation isn't so much an issue, but
mount options and quotas are essential. Another important reason is
that if a partition gets full it doesn't hurt the others.

I already try to minimize partitions. That's why I don't separate
/usr/local and rwin-dows trash, er, stuff (via samba) from /usr. For a
general application machine it seems that /, /var, /usr and /home is
the minimum.

On the seek speed issue, the small filesystems (compared to total
drive size) don't hurt seek speed much, so /, /var and swap aren't
that important, particularly if you spread them among all drivers so
that the partition on each drive is small. The problem is /usr versus
/home, which are both large and can't be put on non-overlapping disks
(at least for my few 3rd-world cents). I'm using about 15% for /usr
and the rest for /home in the smallest drive. I hope this doesn't slow
the raid down too much...