Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:48:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arbitrary processes dying

On 9 Jan 1997, Jay Sachs wrote:

> Just recently, processes on my 2.1.5 system have been getting
> killed. The memory load hasn't been great: I have 32MB, and am running
> XFree 3.2, fvwm, XEmacs 19.14, and g++ 2.7.2.1. Up til yesterday,
> never had a problem. Now, today, g++ might die with a Bus error,
> sometimes taking down the XEmacs parent process with it. Once even
> took down X too. A couple of times inetd has croaked.
>
> Swap usage gets to about 25% before this happens.

Generally, in these cases, I'd be inclined to say that you have a memory
or processor cache problem, but if you've been able to fix it by playing
with the disk and this machine has a history then....

> Here's a question: on a one-disk install, where is the slice for the
> swap partition put by default? If it's the end, I might have the same
> "creeping bad sector disease" on my Seagate that I had half a year
> ago (supposedly repaired. hah. last time I buy a Seagate
> anything. another SG hd of mine severely kicked the bucket three days
> ago.)
>
> If the swap partition isn't at the end, any clues or hints at what to
> look for?

Looking at my machine's disklabel, it's between root and var.  Do
'disklabel <diskname>' and look at the offsets in the partition table at
the bottom.

> If it is at the end, can I repartition *and retain data* so as to move
> it oh say 75MB forward. Basically I want to chop off 70MB of my /usr
> partition and give it to the swap partition.  (This of course would be
> merely a short term solution. The drive'll have to be replaced.)

Unfortunately, the UFS doesn't split or move very easily.  You'd have to
backup, disklabel, newfs, and restore to move them (unless someone has
another idea).  So to answer you question, none that I know of.