Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:42:55 -0800
From:      "Roy Jezmajian" <rj@futon.sfsu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Cannot Connect To My Machine!!

Hi All,

I have a problem with a FreeBSD machine and was wondering if anyone can
help.

Machine A is a FreeBSD 2.x box.  I do not know the exact version because I
cannot connect to it right now.  Machine B is a Red Hat Linux 6.0
installation.  I can telnet to Machine B, but not Machine A.  When I try to
telnet to Machine A from Machine B, this is what happens:

[roy@redhat roy]$ telnet myFreeBSDbox.com
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to myFreeBSDbox.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[roy@redhat roy]$

Names & numbers have been changed for security reasons, but you get the
point.  It should also be told that the boxes are connected over a DSL line,
and that both machines have an internal IP (non-routable, used only inside
the network) and a (routable) IP address used by the rest of the internet.
When the router receives a message from the internet, it looks at the
destination IP (routable) and routes the message to the appropriate internal
address.

The problem is I cannot connect to machine A (myFreeBSDbox).  It does not
respond to any request over the network whatsoever, and cannot even be
pinged from outside the network.

If anyone has any suggestions, please write back.

RJ
rj@futon.sfsu.edu