Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:13:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Daniel J. Wharton" <wharton@burnit.net>
To:        Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling Telnet (DING DING DING)

No... look at the bottom of the message

you have to add /sbin/nologin to the file /etc/shells

If you read that file it tells you that those shells allow FTP.  What I
did was I copied /sbin/nologin to /sbin/noshell.  Then I added
/sbin/noshell to /etc/shells.  That way there if I want to disable the
account completely, then I just make their shell /sbin/nologin, but if I
want to allow FTP but no shell, I make their  shell /sbin/noshell.
Cool???

Sorry about the mix up

DAN WHARTON

System Administrator