Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 17:38:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        se@mi.Uni-Koeln.de
Subject:   NCR Handshake timeout

Wolfgang Stanglmeier suggested adding the following line to the kernel
config file:

options         "SCSI_NCR_NO_HTH_TIMEOUT"   #  Disable handshake timeout

and applying the patch included below (I made this from the 2.1.0
distribution ncr.c).  This sets the handshake timeout to unlimited
insetad of 1.6 seconds.  Each nibble is "2 ** n * 50us" with 0
representing infinate timeout.

This did quite effectively remove the handshake timeout and allowed the
scanner to pound right along.

Apparently, just removing the HTH from the interrupt mask causes confusion.
The NCR chip generates an interrupt, and the driver just ignores it, so it
gets flaky.

Thanks to all,
Sean
================cut here=====================
*** ncr.c.orig	Mon Jan 15 14:04:39 1996
--- ncr.c	Mon Jan 15 17:25:18 1996
***************
*** 4438,4444 ****
--- 4438,4448 ----
  	OUTB (nc_ctest4, 0x08	);	/*  enable master parity checking    */
  	OUTB (nc_stest2, EXT    );	/*  Extended Sreq/Sack filtering     */
  	OUTB (nc_stest3, TE     );	/*  TolerANT enable		     */
+ #ifdef  SCSI_NCR_NO_HTH_TIMEOUT
+ 	OUTB (nc_stime0, 0x0b	);	/*  HTH = *NONE*  STO = 0.1 sec.     */
+ #else
  	OUTB (nc_stime0, 0xfb	);	/*  HTH = 1.6sec  STO = 0.1 sec.     */
+ #endif

  	/*
  	**	Reinitialize usrsync.
--
"We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
        - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the band name 'Steely Dan'