Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Scott <brian@albury.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bscott@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au
Subject:   Re: hard disk controller not being found

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Brian Scott wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem with an install of FreeBSD on a new machine I
> have bought recently.
>
> The machine is basically a 6x86 machine with a 'VXpro' motherboard having
> PCI and ISA bus connections.  The IDE interface is on the motherboard.  To
> quote the (extemely limited) documentation that comes with it: "Onboard PCI
> bus master IDE interface with two connectors, supports four IDE devices in 2
> channels and the PCI IDE controller, supports PIO mode 0 to mode 4 at
> maximum transfer rate of 16.67MB/s and bus master IDE DMA mode 2".  I dont
> know if this gives anyone any clues about the interface.  The floppy disk
> controller is also inbuilt on the motherboard and comes up fine.

OK, standard equipment.

> I had some basic fiddling with trying to config up a system (using another
> machine) trying to refer to the hard disk controller as being on pci? rather
> than isa?.  No joy to be had there by the look of things.  Is there any sort
> of definitive guide to doing strange things with a system config?  I've done
> plenty of hacking them around in the past for various machines that I've put
> FreeBSD onto.  I must admit that I couldn't find much information about the
> finer points of the config file when I went looking.

FreeBSD doesn't have explicit support for PCI IDE controllers, but IDE
controllers are supported through the wdc device.

I have a couple of messages about a beta version of a driver that can run
these controllers in PIO modes.  If you're interested in testing it and
have a way of making backups (The messages warn that the driver can cause
hidden data corruption) I can forward these to you.

> p.s. please CC any replies to bscott@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au - I'm
> suspicious about how reliable my ISP is at present.

Will do.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo