Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 10:08:09 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        martin@victor.innovus.com, serg@bcs1.bcs.zaporizhzhe.ua
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netboot patch

>> >           Troubles detected when DOS memory managers used
>> > after netboot.com. (I type 'N' when question "Boot from Network")
>> > IMHO there are incorrect switching from P-mode to R-mode at exit.
>>
>> I have heard this from other people as well, but I don't really know
>> what I'm doing incorrectly on the switch back.
>   I found this bug. You need to load selector with limit 64k
> to ss, ds, es, fs and fs registers _before_ cleaning PE flag.
> Then shadow registers filled correctly.

fs and gs need not be switched back because they aren't switched to.

The standard boot loader probably doesn't need this because it doesn't
support an 'N' question.  It seems unlikely that there are any BIOSes
sensitive to the segment limits.  It's more likely that there are
BIOSes sensitive to gateA20, and we don't bother switching gateA20
back and forth.

Bruce