Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: send AT commands to modem

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Samy Touati wrote:

> I tried to use the example in the handbook to let chat do the login
> process, but without success.
> After 30 seconds or so I get:
> Oct 22 16:33:35 snoopy pppd[431]: could not set up connection
>
> I'm calling pppd without argument, and here's my options file:
>

> /dev/cuaa1
> 115200
> proxyarp
> crtscts
> -ac
> modem
> connect "/usr/bin/chat -f /etc/ppp/login.chat.script"
> 142.133.16.120:142.133.16.200
> passive
>
> Here's my login.chat.script :
>

> atd5551111 'CONNECT 115200' "" TIMEOUT 2 ogin:-\\rr-ogin: ****** TIMEOUT
> 2 sword: ******

Hm, I hope those aren't real.  I blipped them out in case the whole world
didn't see those before.

Notes:

. Does the modem even dial??

. Have you tried lower baudrates, ie 57600?  iijppp barfs on my machine if
I set it to 115200.

. Your problem is perhaps that your chat script is wrong.  If for some
reason the chat script hangs then pppd will eventually fail (iijppp will
do the same thing).  Double check your chat script and try again.

. You might try removing that TIMEOUT 2 directive and give yourself more
time.